September is National Family Meals Month!
Join us in committing to have one more family meal each week at home. You choose! It can be breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in between. Numerous studies show that home-cooked meals nourish the spirit, brain and health of all family members. The benefits include better nutrition, better grades, increased self esteem, improved social behaviors and stronger family relationships.
It can be as easy as:
- Incorporate theme nights such as Taco Tuesday. My favorite is a taco bar with bowls filled with a variety of toppings and everyone chooses their own mix.
- Have one night a week where the kids decide on the meal and help prepare and clean up.
- Breakfast for dinner – eggs are healthy, budget friendly and quick.
- Grab a rotisserie chicken and stop at the salad bar for really busy nights.
- Rotate through 5 of your family favorites.
- And of course plan your meals, make a grocery list and prep as much as you can one day of the week. It’s a lot of work at first but really pays off.
As the new school year starts, I challenge you to renew your commitment to creating and serving meals at home that nourish your whole family.