Healthier Summer Get-Togethers
Warm Summer days bring people together for pool parties, BBQs, family reunions, neighborhood block parties, vacations and so much more. Getting together with family and friends doesn’t have to be a time to over indulge. Follow a few simple tips to make these events the healthiest for you and the people you love.
1. Whether you are hosting or attending as a guest, be the one to provide the vegetables and/or fruit. Bring a veggie or fruit tray or a fun salad. See recipes below.
2. Stay Hydrated. Sip on some refreshing non-alcoholic beverages, such as lemonade and freshly brewed ice tea or limeade and sparkling water.
3. Keep it simple. Don’t stress over complicated recipes, stick to fresh whole foods. Bring beans, berries or tomatoes straight from the farmers market; simply rinse and serve.
Here are some great dishes that are easy to prepare and perfect for sharing at big get-togethers!
Watermelon-Mint and Blueberry Salad
* 1/2 – 1-whole watermelon, cubed
* 1-2 cups fresh blueberries
* 2-4 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
* juice of a fresh lemon
In a large bowl, combine watermelon, blueberries and mint. Toss with fresh lemon juice.
Corn Avocado and Tomato Salad
* 3 ears of corn, cooked and cut from cob or 1-2 cups cooked frozen corn
* 1 avocado, cubed
* 1-2 tomatoes, diced
* 1 can black beans, rinsed
* chopped red onion or green onion
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
* juice of fresh lime
* 1/2 – 1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss.